Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Fishing, Biopsy & Mean Irene

Sorry it's been so long since my last post. I've been quite busy with cardiac rehab and such. Let me start by letting you know how my appointment went with my GP about the rash on my back and chest. He did some research and found that it's not uncommon for someone after heart transplant to get a fungal form of folliculitis. He took two cultures (on to check if it's bacterial and one to test if it's fungal) and prescribed an anti fungal cream to use at night before I go to bed and said to put Selsun Blue on 5-10 mins before I shower in the morning. I'm glad to report that it seems to be working! Now if I can only get rid of this damn acne caused by the prednisone! I've switched face washes and that seems to be helping but it's still something I'm self-conscious about. Also, I still have the hand tremors when I do simple things like write, try to eat and sometimes even drinking causes them. I continue to tell my doctors about it but they don't seem concerned with it. Hopefully as my medications come down they will get better.

Now onto some fun stuff. A couple weeks ago my Dad's friend took us fishing for fluke out in the ocean. We used to go every summer when I was a kid and I had forgotten how much fun it was! I turned my cell phone off and left my iPad at home. It was so nice to be disconnected from everything for the day. We caught a total of forty-seven fluke but only five were big enough to keep but we were busy having fun reeling in the fish so the day seemed to fly by! I hadn't seen my Dad's friends in years and it was great to see them and catch up. Hopefully we'll get to do it again next summer.
As for my Biopsy last week, it went flawlessly! I began hydrating myself a few days before to make sure I didn't have the same problem as last time. As per usual, the biopsy came back with no signs of rejection! They also lowered my tachrolimus, took me off one of my sleeping pills and I will lower my prednisone to 10mg on September 1, which is two weeks before my next biopsy. That's right, I no longer have to go to Philly every two weeks, it's now every four weeks! But since there is a transplant conference on what would be my fourth week, I will be going a week early. So I went from every to weeks, to tree weeks and then I will be every four weeks. I'm very excited about that.

I briefly mentioned cardiac rehab before so let me go a little more into that. It's going really well and most of the time they need to tell me to slow it down because my heart rate is a little too high, but in a good way, not a bad way like it was pre-transplant. Going three times a week is a lot of work but I'm up for the challenge! I've also been wanting to start hiking just to keep busy on days I don't have rehab or on weekends. I also want to start getting into photography a little more so I'm trying to find a camera that would work better than the point and shoot I have now.

Last week I had lunch with my coworkers at Smiths Detection. It was so good to see them and walk around the office and say hello to everyone and let everyone know that I'm doing well in person. I'm looking forward to return to work in November, even though an exact date has not been set.

And on top of everything else, I survive Mean Irene this past weekend! It wasn't bad by me, thank God. We had a bunch of branches down in the yard and the brook behind my house got pretty high, but nowhere near as high as it was during Floyd a few years ago. Other than that we we good. We didn't lose power, no water in the basement and by time I woke up on Sunday everything had past. I know I am fortunate because a lot of towns and even people a few blocks away were not as lucky as I was.

That's pretty much all that's been going on with my recovery. I will let you know if anything changes and what the results of cultures are once they come back into my doctor's office.

As always, thank you all for your support through all of this.

- Bryan

1 comment:

  1. The shakes to slow down...it does take time...and when you think they are gone you might havea few little ones...do not get discouraged. I know I hated going to the store because I worried what people would think about me shaking.
    Congrats on your good biopsy...it really is the best feeling isn't it!
    Good luck on the cultures.