Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Biopsy Results & Four Weeks Since Transplant

As some of you may know, I went for another biopsy yesterday down in Philly and let me start by saying how much easier it is to get a biopsy done at The Perelman Center than it is it get it done at the actual Hospital. It's much more casual and they don't need to put an IV in or give me any kind of sedative. That means that once I'm cleared to drive, I can drive down myself down and don't need anyone to take off work to come with me. That will also allow me some time to finally explore Philadelphia a little more. Something I've been saying that I wanted to do since I got listed back in August of 2010. As for the biopsy, everything came back good. No rejection and my Tac (Tacrolimus) levels were perfect. They also started to taper me off the prednisone by 5mg increments. They lower the dose two weeks before my next biopsy so they get a good idea of how I am doing by that time. They also surprised me by taking out my staples out down there instead of waiting until today. They were starting to bother me and were getting red around the edges so the Nurse Practitioner decided to take them out. My Dad as a little bummed he didn't get to see them come out since my Brother drove me down but Bobby was all about it. He would have recorded it if I (and the NP) had let him.

My next biopsy is scheduled for June 22. I also have another VO2 Stress Test Scheduled for that day so it's going to be a very busy morning. I need to be in the Perelman Center by 7am so I'm planning on spending the night before down in Philly so I don't have the two hour drive to deal with at 5am. I'm also planning on them clearing me to drive on that day! I can't wait to finally be able to drive my car. It still has the new car smell. My Aunt Karen is coming to visit for a couple of weeks starting next Tuesday so I'm hoping she wont mind taking the trip down to Philly with me for two days so my Dad and Brother don't have to take more time off work. I'm sure she's interested in meeting the team that saved her Godson's life. I'm super excited to see her.

Tomorrow I have a cardiologist appointment but I don't see anything major coming out of that. I imagine it going the same way my appointment with my GP went last week. Just letting them know what happened the past two months in Philly so they know incase there is an emergency of some sort. I don't foresee that happening but better to be safe than sorry. A dear family friend Barbara will be taking me to my appointment (so my Dad can save his days off) and then we are going to my new favorite place to eat, Toast, in Montclair. For those of you in the area, if you haven't been you must try it! The food is so good!

Today is also four weeks since my transplant. I can't believe the progress I've made. I  still have the back pain and headaches but my wrist is finally starting to feel better. It still hurts occasionally but not nearly as bad as it has in the past. I had the doctor who did my biopsy yesterday (who was also in the OR during my transplant) look at and she said the anesthesiologist "really did a number on me." I wanted to respond with "No s**t, Sherlock!" but she's super nice and I like her. Plus she had just had a wire in my heart so I figure I should be nice lol. I also want to big a huge "Thank You!" to the VEA. I just learned that you hosted a Happy Hour with proceeds benefiting Hrt4Bryan the week I got transplanted. And again, I want to thank everyone who has donated and supported me and my Family through all of this. I know I say it all the time, but it is truly overwhelming. Some of the best advice I've gotten the past couple of weeks since I've been home is to remember to live life to the fullest now because I've been given a second chance for a reason. That's exactly what I plan on doing. I'm not going to take anything or anyone in my life for granted. You have all been so instrumental in helping me get through the last ten months that there is nothing I could ever say or do to show how appreciative I am. Thank you all so much and I will let you know if anything changes.



  1. so excited for you and your biopsy.
    thanks for keeping us updated.

  2. Hope you're doing well, Bryan. We hope to see you soon...when you feel up to it.

  3. Bryan, congrats on that next milestone (4 wks) and we are all rooting for you on the upcoming June 22nd stress test and the workout that new heart will get then. As for driving, well that's still pretty soon, but 6 week, well maybe. They just want to make sure the breastbone is healing - any sudden stop and hitting a steering wheel wouldn't be good (smile)!
    - Jim Gleason (out 17 years with my heart from HUP)