Wednesday, June 1, 2011

First Checkup and 3 Weeks since Transplant!

Sorry I didn't get a chance to post an update yesterday after my appointments but I just didn't have the time. But at least for todays post I have the results of the tests they ran. I addressed my main concerns with my doctors yesterday which are my headaches, back pain, and the fact that my wrist is still hurting. They said the back and wrist pain are normal from the surgery and should go away in time. The headaches they are a little more concerned about. They said it could be a side effect of one of my anti-rejection medications, Tacrolimus. That being said, they said my levels were fine according to my blood work (which doesn't mean that it's not the culprit of the headaches, it just means they aren't going to adjust it). Knock on wood, I haven't had a headache the past couple days. They changed a few other doses of my medication, mainly because my blood pressure is a little lower than they would like but if I'm anything like my Mom, I just have naturally low blood pressure. Although, I'm not sure if the new heart should change that. Maybe my donor had low blood pressure too. Who knows?

When I spoke with the transplant team today they also said my echo looked good. My Ejection fraction was very good. I don't think he gave me an exact number but with my old heart it was around 7 so anything has got to be better than that. He also said my kidney function is good so things are going very well. I am scheduled for another office visit next Tuesday, June 7th, along with another biopsy. That's when they're going to start tapering down my dosage of Prednisone. After that, I will be going down every other week for a checkup and biopsy. (Hopefully the following office visit on June 21st I will get cleared to drive so stay off the roads that week while I learn how to drive again!) They also cleared me to drink alcohol again. I just can't go crazy. One or two drinks is fine. But after not having any alcohol for so long, I'm sure that will be plenty.

All the pills I have to take. I think its understandable
why I am a little confused.
Today also marks 3 weeks since my transplant and I'm feeling pretty good. My wounds are healing very nicely and the staples are scheduled to come out next week. So far none have fallen out on their own and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way. I'm also starting to get more comfortable with my medications. A huge thanks to Vicky who helps me every Tuesday night organize my pills for the next week. (I do it on Tuesdays because that's when I have my appointments and that's when they would change any medications) She has been such a huge help with everything. My head would still be spinning if it wasn't for her. 

That's all the news from the past couple of days. Everything seems to going very well which makes me happy. Hopefully the back and wrist pain start the get better. Once that starts to happen I will be an even happier camper! Thank you to everyone for all your continued support, well wishes and get well cards. I will keep you posted on any changes.



  1. Thankgoodness for the HUGE pill boxes! Each week when I add my pills for the week, I am amazed.
    I just had to go back up on my predisone (50mg for 3 days, 40 mgs 3days, 30 mgs 3 days...ect...My face is so predisone swollen I look like I have Jerry Lewis' face!!
    I am so glad you are doing so well.
    You remain in my thoughts and prayers.

  2. My heros... those that went before me hold the answers to the questions I hope to soon have, I keep waiting for that phone to ring. Scared to get it, more scared not to..

    blessings to you both.. Denise